Author, Bronx native, unearther and explainer of New York City’s sunken and buried past, Robert Apuzzo talks with Lucy Oxios about their work restoring a 1952 tugboat, their plans to find the elusive HMS Hussar, an 18th century frigate that sank in Hell’s Gate, and the treasure they found on their first date. Listen to their story and check out these pictures of The Bronx at the Labor Day Tug Races September 5.
Robert and Lucy told their story to Nicki Pombier Berger in the Underwater New York Story Tank, hosted by PortSide at Pier 11, Atlantic Basin, City of Water Day, July 24, 2010. Listen to more from the Story Tank here.
Subscribe to Surfaced
Bi-monthly featured stories, & notification of upcoming events
- Antiseptic Six-Pack: Six Fragments from Dead Horse Bay by Nora Maynard
- UNY Contributor Book Round-Up
- They Come To Me by Allison Amend
- The Right Way to Tell a Story by Carolyn Ferrell
- The River and the Skull by Rich Villar
- Oshun’s Bolero by Rich Villar
- The Orisha of Iron, or, How The Horseshoe Came Back To Homeboy by Rich Villar
- Poem in Which the Poet Attempts to Teach Children on a Walking Tour of Their Own Neighborhood About the Purpose of Urban Poetry, Completely Ignoring the Tree and the River in Front of His Face by Rich Villar
- UNY in the Bronx!: Reading this Friday February 22nd
- The Art of Hurricanes by Lissa Kiernan